The pegmatite deposit situated near the town of Warner Springs was first discovered in 1904. In 2001 new pegmatite outcrop was excavated and the underground workings were extended by drilling and blasting. Several large, well-formed crystals of pink and pink-to-green tourmaline were recovered. The largest weighed 4.9 lbs. (2.2kg) and was 6.4 inches (16.3 cm) tall. Later in 2002 large clay-filled pocket was discovered with spectacular pink and bi-colour tourmaline crystals up to 12 inches (30cm) tall.